couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:56:42 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>wrote:

> Not to get into a contest here, but I've been building web sites since
> about 1995 (and gopher sites
> before that).  And doing sales and business development since 1974.

*rolls eyes*

> Web sites are, by and large, NOT like print ads - they generally are not
> the first point of contact that someone has with a "product." Rather they
> are "collateral" - akin to brochures, spec. sheets, case studies, and the
> like.  Someone is likely to go to the CouchDB web site AFTER
> hearing/reading about CouchDB somewhere else, and goes to
> couchdb.apache.org (or more likely couchdb.org) looking for details -
> specs, white papers, slide shows, a list of who's using CouchDB, a live
> demo, and signs that the project is alive, widely used, and supported by a
> strong community of maintainers and developers, (and perhaps a commercial
> ecosystem that can provide hosting, development, and other forms of
> support).

Good point. Gonna add it to the wiki?

(I never said it was like a print ad, I think I side the exact opposite,
no?)

> By and large, at least when I'm evaluating software for use on a project
> or internally, I'm looking for two things:
> - a quick understanding of the software (who, what, where, why, how, etc.)
> - PPTs, screen shots, demos, white papers
> - a strong community
>
> By and large a user and developer oriented site, with a highly visible
> "learn more" link is far more effective as a marketing vehicle than
> something that looks like a print ad.

Do you think we disagree on this?

> Ummm... it's pretty hard to find.  I had to go back through the email
> thread to find it, and the archives are not even searchable.

What?

I presume you've been following this thread? Did you not open it the first
time I linked to it? You're complaining that you had to go back through
your emails to find a link?

What?

The archives are searchable if you use Markmail.

> The quickest way to turn off potential users is to make information hard
> to find.  There's no link to the Wiki on the front page.

Yes there is. It's in the Quick Links section.

> Absolutely.  Pretty much everything anybody might look for is right there
> - including WTF is MongoDB and Download.

Please add SPECIFIC suggestions to the wiki.

> Well, if it were me, I'd have a single link to a mailing list page like
> http://www.erlang.org/static/**doc/mailinglist.html<http://www.erlang.org/static/doc/mailinglist.html>-
not clutter up the front page with all the details.

We chose to go with a single serving website.