couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:29:25 GMT
Noah Slater wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>wrote:
>> Web sites are, by and large, NOT like print ads - they generally are not
>> the first point of contact that someone has with a "product." Rather they
>> are "collateral" - akin to brochures, spec. sheets, case studies, and the
>> like.  Someone is likely to go to the CouchDB web site AFTER
>> hearing/reading about CouchDB somewhere else, and goes to
>> couchdb.apache.org (or more likely couchdb.org) looking for details -
>> specs, white papers, slide shows, a list of who's using CouchDB, a live
>> demo, and signs that the project is alive, widely used, and supported by a
>> strong community of maintainers and developers, (and perhaps a commercial
>> ecosystem that can provide hosting, development, and other forms of
>> support).
>>
> Good point. Gonna add it to the wiki?
>
> (I never said it was like a print ad, I think I side the exact opposite,
> no?)

Done, and, oops (had to go back and re-read your post - read it too
quickly the first time).

>> Ummm... it's pretty hard to find.  I had to go back through the email
>> thread to find it, and the archives are not even searchable.
>
> What?
>
> I presume you've been following this thread? Did you not open it the first
> time I linked to it? You're complaining that you had to go back through
> your emails to find a link?
>
> What?
>
> The archives are searchable if you use Markmail.

Was referring to the link to the wiki comments page.  Yes, the archives
are searchable via Markmail, if I could find a link to the Markmail
archive.  The point of a web site, and particularly a wiki, is to make
it easy to find information.  Unlike, say, WikiPedia, ASF's wiki pages
don't have a discussion page automatically tied to a page - so it is
actually pretty hard to both remember that there is a comments page, and
then how to find it.

>> The quickest way to turn off potential users is to make information hard
>> to find.  There's no link to the Wiki on the front page.

>> Yes there is. It's in the Quick Links section.

Well yeah, but it's called "documentation" which is actually a link to a
specific page on the wiki.