couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:15:02 GMT
Jonathan Porta wrote:
> Does anyone think it would be a good idea to list the proposed
> changes/issues to/with the site and then have the community vote on them?

Yes!
> Opinion:
>

>     - I think the new site feels very much up to current design trends.
>     - The current site far surpasses the previous's site delivery of the
>     message: "CouchDB is alive and ready for you to start using it!"
>     - I think the focus on the text keeps it simple and easy to understand.
>     - The "Quick Links" listed under "Development" could be a good thing to
>     have at the very top of the "Want to Contribute?" section.  That way a
>     person could jump right in instead of TL;DR'ing that section.

Seems to me that there are some fairly standard things that people look
for along the top of a software-related web page, that are conspicuously
missing from the CouchDB page, unless you go digging at the bottom of
the page or by clicking through links.  A fairly common list is:
- About (or Learn More) - missing
- Downloads
- Documentation - missing
- Support - missing
- News (or Blog) - missing
- Development - missing ("Contribute" is ambiguous)
- Community - missing (admittedly "Mailing Lists" is there, but what
about links to unofficial archives, other Couch related sites, .....)
- Events
- Demo
- Facebook and/or Twitter

I'd take a look at other sites, like erlang.org, drupal.org,
mongodb.org, and so forth.