couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dustin Sallings <dus...@spy.net>
Subject Re: Mac OS X download.
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:28:10 GMT

On Apr 20, 2012, at 12:12 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> I've checkout out the couchbase/couchdbx-app repo. (It's forked here https://github.com/carltongibson/couchdbx-app
but there's nothing to see just yet.)

> * HEAD looks a little stale (not sure about that) and orientated towards couchbase server.
— I've not downloaded couchbase server itself but it looks as if it doesn't embed the console
output and web view (for Futon) that CouchDBX does/did.

	Check out the "single" branch.  I think that's closer to what you want.

> * However Jan's initial git commit looks exactly what I'm after — I'm going to step
through the commits until I find the latest one that looks close and fork from that. I will
then cherry-pick good changes from later. (The repo history is not particularly long so this
shouldn't be too taxing.)

	I did a bunch of work on building a more appropriate UI (e.g. not a webkit view that couldn't
pass tests, less in the way, etc...)

> Issues
> --------
> 1. I need erlang+couchdb "in a folder" that I can deploy in the application bundle. My
plan (right now) is to use Dave's gist to install CouchDB via homebrew and get the app working
with that. Once that's in place we just point the script which runs CouchDB to the bundled
version. There are config scripts in the repo we can use/build-on to control getting CouchDB
to write to the Application Support folder and such.

	The build process I had in place would download a pre-built, stripped down erlang distribution
and embed that.

> I'm imagining including erlang+couchdb as a submodule (or whatever). If it's going to
go quickly, I'll need help putting this together.

> 2. Packaging and Upgrades. There's stuff in the repo for putting together a disk image.
Updates are handled via the Sparkle Framework. Both of these need working through but I suspect
there's nothing too complicated per se. I've not implemented upgrades with Sparkle myself
but I believe it uses some form of signature so there may be issues with a clean upgrade path
for existing users (see below).

	I've had a  lot of success with it.

--
dustin sallings