couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.2.0 status update
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:07:59 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>>
>> > How long before we can land COUCHDB-1426? ;)
>>
>> Depends how much feedback and tests are given on that. Want to help?
>>

> I time for CouchDB is saturated, but I can help you test for sure.
>
> Is there anyone on this list that can spare a few cycles to help Benoît
> test?
>
> Benoît, how would you us to test?
>
> Is there a list of stuff you'd like people to try?
>

>> Keeping pressure like this start to annoy me.
>>

> Understood, and I am sorry that you feel annoyed.

Thanks.

> I know some people work well under pressure, and some people do not. If my
> last email did not adequately express why I want to apply pressure, no
> follow up will. But this is not how I expect us to operate under normal
> circumstances, so there is no need to worry. But these are not normal
> circumstances.
>
> As Jan keeps saying to me, we need some good news.

I completely share the need to have  some good news but in my opinion
it shouldn't take the lead over the release quality. I can understand
we are under pressure (though not so much these days since people are
starting to understand what make couchdb a good fit for them) and
that's why I think we should take the time to make the installation
working for the users and packages maintainer.  Which is a good way,
by the way, to tell to anyone that they don't need anymore a binary
from a third party to enjoy the CouchDB experience.

>> Some bugs especially though based on multiple configurations not on
>> the dev control could take time to resolve. And I completely share
>> paul's opinion on that. We should take time when it's about to keep
>> CouchDB robust and stable.
>>

> Agreed.
>
> (Though I will note that core stability, and configure time stability are
> two different beasts.)
>

>> Anyway was off during last 16h due to flights and saw that @davisp
>> posted a new version that should fix latest issues. Time to test.
>>

> Again, anyone wanna help out here?
>
> Most of us only have on specific environment we can test on, but the more
> the merrier I expect.
>
> Benoît, could you throw a list of checkpoints for people to run through and
> report back with?

The best way to test right now is cloning the COUCHDB-1426 branch and
do the follwing tests :

- with spidermonkey installed by your system packaging tool
- with spidermonkey installed in a custom path using --with-js-lib &
--with-js-include
- mixing both, havin a spidermonkey installed globally on the system
and try to use one installed in custom path.

I hope I'm clear, if you have any question bug me on irc or  better by mail.

- benoit