couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Mac homebrew users
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:38:53 GMT
On 26 March 2012 01:31, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:
> On 25 March 2012 09:32, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've not looked into this thoroughly but has anyone thought to try
>> patching Erlang to use the newer openssl?
>
> No, and I'm pretty sure I'll come back scarred (but a better
> programmer) if I did tho.
>
> I have this working now on Lion, https://gist.github.com/2147079 with
> updated patch
> & instructions.
>
> Relax (YMMV).
> A+
> Dave

Hi everybody,

TL;DR:
New couch & openssl recipes submitted to homebrew & gist[1],
also on my fork[2].
Assuming these are accepted, you'll need to:

# cleanup
brew update
brew remove --force openssl erlang couchdb icu4c spidermonkey nspr

# install pre-reqs
brew install icu4c openssl

# ensure we build against the new keg-only versions
brew link icu4c openssl
brew install erlang --no-docs
brew install couchdb [--devel]

#optional --devel will track 1.2.x vs 1.1.1 by default

And hopefully use 1.2.0 as default very soon too!

TL:
After more testing using a script[3] from davisp, I can see that the new
recipe is significantly more stable *but* still occasionally crashes -
around 1 time in 1.5 hours of heavy testing, and that it's not related
to the openssl version used as I can use 1.0.1 just as effectively.

BenoƮt and & have been using the OpenSSL 1.0.0x series for a while
in the windows & refuge build for some time now, so I've sent a pull
request to homebrew to accommodate this instead, with automatic
detection of using 64 bit or 32 bit builds as required by your platform.

This seems stable enough for my dev needs but feel free to dig further.

Should I raise this on erlang-bugs maybe as well?

[1]: https://gist.github.com/2147079
[2]: https://github.com/dch/homebrew/tree/couchdb
[3]: https://gist.github.com/2219748

A+