couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 -- Windows Binaries, round 3
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:42:12 GMT
On 28 March 2012 19:27, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is an important note from the PMC.
>
> We were in error to call this thread a vote, and this is my fault.
>
> To get things clear:
>
>   - The PMC does not vote on binary packages. The PMC only votes on
>   release artefacts, which are always source packages.
>   - The Windows binaries are being provided by Dave Cottlehuber for
>   convenience only, and do not constitute a release by the PMC.
>   - We will host the Windows binaries in our project distribution
>   directory, but we will add a note to inform users that any binary packages
>   are not official releases and are provided for convenience only.
>   - Binary packages which are referenced by the project (from the website,
>   for instance) will always be built from a corresponding source release.
>   - Dave Cottlehuber has done astounding work getting us to this point,
>   and I am very pleased that so many people have provided feedback. In
>   future, Dave will be asking for testers, but we will not be referring to
>   this as a vote.
>   - With my PMC hat on, and my Release Team hat on, I can tell you that we
>   will try to run the release in parallel with any binary package testing. If
>   there are significant problems in either, we will abort both. We will also
>   try to announce the availability of binary packages along with the source
>   release announcement.
>
> Apologies that this has come so late in the thread. Be assured that it does
> not change anything, and we are still moving forward as planned. But it is
> important, as a PMC, that we get our terminology right, and set
> expectations appropriately.
>
> Thank you,

Firstly thanks everybody for the efforts in testing this - it gives me a much
greater level of comfort than a year or so ago when I had the first few test
runs. Windows CouchDB gets over 1000 downloads a month so it's great
to have a few more eyes onboard!

Noah no worries about the paperwork, we need to keep things clean & tidy.

Given that the 1.2.0 source release has been aborted, let's wrap this
(don't mention the V-word or the R-word) & have another run at testing
binaries for the next source round. I'm looking forwards to seeing 1.2.0
roll in the very near future.

Thanks again!

A+
Dave