couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Kurt Milam <kurt.mi...@xioup.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:42:49 GMT
One more note and I'll shut my noob yapper...

Jan asked whether there was anything else Couchbase could do to help fix
the confusion, and this message is a response to that request.

I never saw couch.io - it was dead before I started researching CouchDB
seriously. I can tell you that the poorly-handled migration from couch.ioto
couchbase.com adds to the general confusion around CouchDB. Have you guys
heard of 301 redirects? Anyone researching CouchDB is going to come across
blog posts, answers on StackOverflow, comments on blogs, etc., that link to
couch.io URLs which no longer exist. You guys need to read up on 'cool
URLs'. I suspect that much of the content that used to be at couch.io URLs
is still online at couchbase.com URLs, but because Couchbase hasn't
bothered to 301 redirect from the old URLs to the new ones, the content is
practically unfindable. It took me forever to find Jan's blog articles on
filtered replication and security, part of his series on new features in
1.1.1. My google fu is reasonably strong, but these important articles
(important parts of the catalog of CouchDB documentation, imho), were
seriously buried in my search results.

In short, Couchbase is doing a disservice to itself, as well as to the
CouchDB community by not taking the migration from couch.io from
couchbase.com - put someone on that... Set up the correct 301 redirects.
Fix broken links and images in blog posts. Couchbase.com contains some
excellent CouchDB-related documentation. Do yourselves and the CouchDB
community a favor and fix couchbase.com.

Best Regards,

Kurt Milam