couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Enforced filter functions
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:30:22 GMT
So I was trying to implement the ability for logged in users to subscribe
to the changes feed for updates to their own documents (its currently admin
only), its a simple patch but its not very clean (mostly because the we
dont want to have the changes feed read the full document)

A way that I could implement it, that seems a lot more globally applicable
and applies cleaner, is to allow the ddoc author to enforce filters to
happen on non admin access to _changes and replication (on any database)

This should negatively affect anything else, filters are already used and
supported in both places, I have also seen it asked for regularly in the
context of replication, ddoc authors could specify exactly what users are
allowed to replicate, the enforced filter would override any users filter

As far as I can tell the only problem would be how to have the author
specify the enforcement, apart from that it should apply cleanly,
introduces a fairly large amount of new functionality and adds very little
overhead

Ideas?

Jan mentioned this could be used more widely for updates / shows / lists,
that is starting to sound more complicated and does start introducing
problems, I would prefer to look at the simple case of filters for changes
/ replication for now, but if there was an even more global solution that
applied cleanly, I would be happy to