couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems blocking 1.2.0
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:29:35 GMT
In these recent cases all I see is that a few minutes of discussion
would have saved a lot of noise. We should be collaborating closely at
the tail end of a release.

In general, though, I thought we already were review before commit,
which is why patches go to JIRA or we make branches in git. It's just
me that thinks this?

B.

On 23 March 2012 13:27, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Review after commit, by default, is fine. It should be review before commit on a hot
release branch, and the active release manager should be consulted in all instances. These
changes have wasted a significant amount of my time, and pushed this release back by half
a week.

> In fairness, this is not written down anywhere, and Randal was acting in good faith,
so I do not blame him for these issues. I will be documenting some of this stuff, for clarification
and future reference, after the release.

> Let's leave it at that, and revisit best practices later.
>
> On 23 Mar 2012, at 13:17, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Finally, the review-after-commit approach bothers me, especially at
>> crunch times like this. Can we get a chance to preview and discuss
>> changes while we're trying to push out a release please?
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On 23 March 2012 13:15, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I'm also -1 on your revised solution. We go to the trouble of
>>> carefully logging and formatting these errors and then log them at a
>>> level that approximately no one ever runs at (debug is far too noisy
>>> to use in production, for instance).
>>>
>>> B.

no

CHANGES?