couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:52:26 GMT
I don't believe any CouchDB committer or PMC member has any interest
in changing the project name.

I personally feel, as you do, that it's the other products that must
clearly distinguish themselves from CouchDB. The company and product
called "Couchbase" clearly confuses the community, who reasonably, but
erroneously, believe that it's related to CouchDB (the truth, now, is
that couchdb is an important but internal component). Sponsoring the
"CouchConf" conferences which talks about "Couch NoSQL technology" but
also "the Couchbase technology" is similarly confusing, especially as
"CouchConf"'s in the past were about Apache CouchDB and things
compatible or complementary to it.

For my part, the ideal solution would be for Couchbase to rename its
product and conferences to not imply that they are about CouchDB, to
me that means not using the word 'couch'. I understand that the
trademark we hold is on 'Apache CouchDB' and that we cannot assert any
rights over the word 'couch', but I don't think anyone can deny that
confusion caused is real. Since the Couchbase product is not CouchDB
compatible it's surprising that it hasn't been rebranded for marketing
reasons already.

B.