couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crash of CouchDB 1.2.x
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 01:44:41 GMT
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:56, Stefan Kögl <koeglstefan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 02:32 PM, Jason Smith wrote:
>>
>> Longshot, but is it possible that couch had a file handle to an
>> unlinked file, so once the (OS) process crashed, the space was
>> freed?
>

> Hmm.. that might be possible. I ran a database compaction before that. When
> I noticed the crash I saw that the db compaction finished, but it might be
> possible that it still had a handle to the old db file.

{badmatch,{error,enospc}} is exactly the out of space error coming
straight up out of the kernel.

> How should we proceed from here? Is it possible for me to provide further
> information about that in retrospect?

I'm not sure what else you could provide after the fact. If your couch
came back online automatically, and did so quickly, I would expect to
see very long response times while the disk was busy freeing the old,
un-compacted file. We have had some fixes in the last couple releases
to address similar issues, but maybe there's something lurking still.
I've got no other ideas/leads at this time.