couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: 1.2.0 status update
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:03:43 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Can't you feel the heat too?
>
> Nope. Is there a deadline I'm not aware of?

Evidently so.

Were you aware that the Friday just gone was a deadline?

But you're missing my point. The deadline (that we agreed on via lazy
consensus on the mailing list) was a symptom of the fire. The fire is not
the cause. The cause is all of misfortune the project has had recently. The
need to show the world that we are still alive and kicking, before it is
too late. The need to demonstrate that we're an active project that doesn't
get bogged down through process, and people disagreeing with each other. Do
not under-estimate the impact of Mikeal's posts on the community at large.
While I understand, and appreciate, the debates that have gone in to fixing
the 1.2.0 issues, I feel like we could've moved faster as a team, and
worked with more co-ordination. The outward possible perception is
particularly unfortunate, given the context.

So yes. I feel a fire. That fire is my passion for CouchDB. And I know that
now more than ever, we, as a community need to pitch in together, pull our
finger out, ship a great product, and start making the sort of inroads that
will take us to the next level. It's tough, and there's a lot of
ingrained behavioural stuff, and attitude stuff, that needs massaging. But
I am happy that you seem to understand where my motivation is coming from,
and are willing to overlook some rather hasty (frustrated) emails.