couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please report your indexing speed
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 19:13:27 GMT

On Mar 4, 2012, at 18:48 , Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2012, at 18:45 , Bob Dionne wrote:
>
>> yes, I was surprised by the 30% claim as my numbers showed it only getting back to
where we were with 1.1.x

> I see ~10% faster than where 1.1.1 was for small docs and ~30% for large docs.

I got curious whether there was a drop-off (or up, I guess) point for the performance improvement
between doc size and %-improved.

I re-ran the tests for 300, 500 & 700 byte docs respectively and the numbers (updated
in the spreadsheet) suggest a ~5% improvement on each iteration.

So, looks linear, no sweet spot.

Moving on.

Cheers
Jan
--

>> I think Bob's suggestion to get to the root code change that caused this regression
is important as it will help us assess all the other cases this testing hasn't even touched
yet

> +1
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Bob Dionne wrote:
>>
>>> I ran some tests, using Bob's latest script. The first versus the second clearly
show the regression. The third is the 1.2.x with the patch
>>> to couch_os_process reverted and it seems to have no impact. The last has Filipe's
latest patch to couch_view_updater discussed in the
>>> other thread and it brings the performance back to the 1.1.x level.
>>>
>>> I'd say that patch is a +1
>>>
>>> 1.2.x
>>> real	3m3.093s
>>> user	0m0.028s
>>> sys	0m0.008s
>>> ==================
>>> 1.1.x
>>> real	2m16.609s
>>> user	0m0.026s
>>> sys	0m0.007s
>>> 1.2.x with patch to couch_os_process reverted
>>> real	3m7.012s
>>> user	0m0.029s
>>> sys	0m0.008s
>>> 1.2.x with Filipe's katest patch to couch_view_updater
>>> real	2m11.038s
>>> user	0m0.028s