couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:00:42 GMT

On Mar 13, 2012, at 20:52 , Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear what other measures you think Couchbase could
>> take? Feel free to take this to private@apache.couchdb.org to discuss
>> with the PMC as well.
>>
> One that that might help a lot is a really serious definition of what Couchbase is -
particularly in visible locations like the front page of couchbase.com.  While the name implies
a close relationship to CouchDB, I really can't, for the life of me, find a clear description
of what it does.

> I mean, CouchDB is very clearly:
> - "a document-oriented database that can be queried and indexed using JavaScript in a
MapReduce fashion"
> - "A document database server, accessible via a RESTful JSON API."
> with http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/intro.html and http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html
elaborating quite nicely.
> (Less visible is that CouchDB is a great application development platform.  I refer to
couchapps, of course).

> On the other hand, all I can figure out from couchbase.com is:
> - "Couchbase is open source NoSQL for mission-critical systems." and that one can
> - "spread your data across a cluster of machines and randomly access it with sub-millisecond
latency"
> - and it's pretty quickly obvious that the most salient features of CouchDB (RESTful
interface, application platform) are missing from Couchbase
> - by and large, it's completely useless for the kinds of things I'm working on (except
maybe as a backend to add some scalability down the line)

> What CouchDB is, and why one might use it is very clearly defined.
>
> On the other hand, Couchbase materials (website, white paper, ...) make a generic case
for NoSQL databases - but one that could equally apply to Hadoop, Riak, graph databases, and
the whole range of NoSQL technologies and products.

> Seems to me that not only would a very clear use case and functional description for
Couchbase help distinguish the two, but would also help Couchbase position itself in the space
of available technologies and in the marketplace.  If anything, the "Couch" in Couchbase implies
that it's something like CouchDB - which it really isn't.  At best, it's not very helpful,
at worst it's rather misleading.

[Couchbase hat]: Thanks for the input, we hope to address these things on our website, please
await my report before suggesting other things for the website. I was looking for *additional*
things you might think we can do.

Cheers
Jan