couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Problems blocking 1.2.0
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:27:18 GMT
Review after commit, by default, is fine. It should be review before commit on a hot release
branch, and the active release manager should be consulted in all instances. These changes
have wasted a significant amount of my time, and pushed this release back by half a week.

In fairness, this is not written down anywhere, and Randal was acting in good faith, so I
do not blame him for these issues. I will be documenting some of this stuff, for clarification
and future reference, after the release.

Let's leave it at that, and revisit best practices later.

On 23 Mar 2012, at 13:17, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> Finally, the review-after-commit approach bothers me, especially at
> crunch times like this. Can we get a chance to preview and discuss
> changes while we're trying to push out a release please?
>
> B.
>
> On 23 March 2012 13:15, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm also -1 on your revised solution. We go to the trouble of
>> carefully logging and formatting these errors and then log them at a
>> level that approximately no one ever runs at (debug is far too noisy
>> to use in production, for instance).
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On 23 March 2012 13:14, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>> " Is there a good reason why we don't honor
>>> the create option in the way I expected?"
>>>
>>> Is there a good reason you committed a fix to a release branch without
>>> testing it?
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> B.

We