couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, first round
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:03:05 GMT
tl;dr = Minor disagreement with Benoit but happy to go with his decision.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Jason Smith <> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
>>> well as a database, CouchDB shouldn't change the way data are saved
>>> in. I expect that the number I saved under the json type Number [1]
>>> defined by the spec [2] is correctly saved and returned as is. No
>>> roundtrip or precision lost should happen.
>> Okay. "JSON type Number" is incoherent. JSON has only numerals, no
>> numbers. JavaScript standards are as relevant as FORTRAN standards.
>> But may we continue that discussion in JIRA?
> I don't follow. JSON describes a number type, and refers to another
> iso standard too. How it's incoherent.

I could be wrong but I don't see a reference to an ISO or similar
standard. I am reading RFC 4627.

Anyway, sorry to be unclear in the last post. The RFC has a type
called "number" however it is not the same as programming language
numeric types (Number, int, double, etc.). Like ink on paper, JSON
"numbers" are symbols, representing the actual numbers.

Doxiadis and Papadimitriou have Bertrand Russel saying,

    What is "3" but the set of all sets with three elements?
    "Three-ness" is the common property of three umbrellas, three horses...
    Three hats...
    Three cookies.

When we parse JSON, we convert the symbols into something else:
perhaps IEEE 754. But our eyes and brain also decode JSON, and our
brains represents the numbers, independent of the IEEE. That is valid,

JSON numbers are basically some numerals, a dot, more numerals, and an
exponent. There are no size limits. So the numbers are more properly
arbitrary precision decimals.

I have argued that, as long as Couch does not change the real,
underlying number--the essense--then it is fine; but others have made
reasonable points to the contrary.

Final thought: IMHO it's not a blocker but I gladly yield to the the
community's consensus.

Iris Couch

View raw message