couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, first round
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 01:15:48 GMT
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> Jason's point, I believe, is that there is no distinction between
> types of numbers in JSON.
>
> It's an easy tweak to the encoder to make
> ejson:decode(ejson:encode(1.0)) =:= 1.0, though. I'd like to hear
> arguments for and against before we fire up round 2.

That is correct.

After a night's sleep, I better appreciate the argument against my
response in JIRA.

Does CouchDB store my **JSON** (and mutate it minimally, for _rev)?

Or does CouchDB store my **data**, where JSON is simply how we express
the underlying "stuff" to be stored?

IMO it's the second; but for this discussion (whether it should be a
blocker), it seems at worst a breaking change, not a blocker.

--
Iris Couch