couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@apache.org>
Subject Advice on policy merging non-committer branches
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 03:57:53 GMT
I would like to merge a branch from a non-committer[1]. The log shows
a non-apache author, but an apache committer.

What is the policy regarding this? I was thinking the following:

1. Merge freely and promiscuously from anybody in my GitHub (or
whatever) repo (community engagement)
2. As the branch nears time for "promotion," ask the non-committer to
git format-patch and attach to JIRA, signing (checking) the license
transfer.
3. With that settled, either git rebase or `git am` (I'm unclear about
this). The point is, get an @apache.org committer id on each commit.
4. Push where appropriate into the ASF repo

Questions:

Must the non-committer attach the exact same commit id? Or is it
sufficient that it merely be the same diff (delta)? (I changed the ID
when I rebased his commit and added my email to the committer header.)

Before the JIRA license agreement, may we push non-committers' code to
the repo at all?

Before the JIRA license agreement, may we push non-committers' code to
the more official branches: master, 1.2.x, etc.?

May we push whatever we want so long as the license agreement is
signed (checked) before voting on a release artifact?

[1]: https://github.com/jhs/couchdb/commit/1451ee57f2afdade5b24c3fb4ae37efadf9ef1ed