couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel ItaboraĆ­ <itabora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:38:37 GMT
I don't want to be a dick about it, but

> Based on the data I have available to me, the combination of these factors
> may be causing people less familiar with the project to assume that CouchDB
> is moribund

Couldn't it simply be the case?

The product lost momentum when compared to other "competitors". Its founder
publicly, loudly and kinda dickishly renounced it. Performance can still be
a issue. The documentation and website are wildly confusing. There is no
clear roadmap for those watching on the outside.

Last but not least, you would be fighting over a name that does not
correctly tells what the product does. As we all know, Couch is supposed to
stand for "Cluster Of Unreliable Commodity Hardware" and the support that
CouchDB provides for clustering is less than stellar, to put it mildly.

CouchDB and CouchBase should differentiate themselves through clear and
concrete goals and roadmaps. While names and logos are nice things to have,
it seems pointless to bicker about them when both products stand in the
brink of irrelevancy when it comes to new users.

Daniel