couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Bisbee <...@sbisbee.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:19:36 GMT
Hey Noah,

Sensitive topic, so I'm going to try and be uber clear...

- I don't think there is any doubt that CouchBase introduced confusion
into the ecosystem with the naming of its company, projects,
conferences, and general marketing. This is something that I heard a
lot from companies with no direct ties to CouchDB when I was an
independent consultant, then consulting at Bocoup, and now at
Cloudant. CouchApps was the other messaging and sales hurdle.

- I do not think that CouchBase the company intended to do any harm to
the CouchDB ecosystem. Couch.io and CouchOne certainly wouldn't have.
They are a company and therefore have the right to pivot their
offerings as they see fit. They are not SCO.

- Whether Damien the individual intended to do harm to the project or
ecosystem is something that only he knows. I know it's hard but we
have to separate the issues of Damien the individual and CouchBase the
company - there is a reason Damien posted on his own blog instead of
CouchBase's.

- I worry about the precedent that CouchDB could set by going to
legal. I could see it scaring off other companies who are interested
in investing in this space.

- However, I could see justification and good form in the CouchDB team
all agreeing to send a letter to CouchBase asking that they make a
clearer distinction between themselves and CouchDB. Especially in
their marketing, conference naming, etc. Depending on their reaction
you may or may not want to ping legal.

Like Newson I should mention that I am a Cloudant employee, and while
we do not compete directly with CouchBase (completely different model
and offering), we do operate in the same space.

Whatever the team decides to do, please do it with good form.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee