couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, second round
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:18:42 GMT
Jason, can't reproduce those results, not even close:

http://friendpaste.com/1L4pHH8WQchaLIMCWhKX9Z

Before COUCHDB-1186

fdmanana 16:58:02 ~/git/hub/slow_couchdb (master)> docs=500000
batch=50000 ./bench.sh small_doc.tpl
Server: CouchDB/1.2.0a-a68a792-git (Erlang OTP/R14B03)
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.2.0a-a68a792-git"}

[INFO] Created DB named `db1'
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
Building view.
{"total_rows":500000,"offset":0,"rows":[
{"id":"doc1","key":1,"value":1}
]}

real	0m56.241s
user	0m0.006s
sys	0m0.005s

After COUCHDB-1186

fdmanana 17:02:02 ~/git/hub/slow_couchdb (master)> docs=500000
batch=50000 ./bench.sh small_doc.tpl
Server: CouchDB/1.2.0a-f023052-git (Erlang OTP/R14B03)
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.2.0a-f023052-git"}

[INFO] Created DB named `db1'
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
Building view.
{"total_rows":500000,"offset":0,"rows":[
{"id":"doc1","key":1,"value":1}
]}

real	1m11.694s
user	0m0.006s
sys	0m0.005s
fdmanana 17:06:01 ~/git/hub/slow_couchdb (master)>

1.2.0a-f023052-git with patch
http://friendpaste.com/178nPFgfyyeGf2vtNRpL0w  applied on top

fdmanana 17:06:53 ~/git/hub/slow_couchdb (master)> docs=500000
batch=50000 ./bench.sh small_doc.tpl
Server: CouchDB/1.2.0a-f023052-git (Erlang OTP/R14B03)
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.2.0a-f023052-git"}

[INFO] Created DB named `db1'
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
[INFO] Uploaded 50000 documents via _bulk_docs
Building view.
{"total_rows":500000,"offset":0,"rows":[
{"id":"doc1","key":1,"value":1}
]}

real	0m51.089s
user	0m0.006s
sys	0m0.004s
fdmanana 17:10:29 ~/git/hub/slow_couchdb (master)>

Can you try with R14B0x and also with the patch
http://friendpaste.com/178nPFgfyyeGf2vtNRpL0w ?

Back then I made all testing on a machine with a spinning disk, so the
writer process was slower and likely dequeing more KV pairs from the
work queue on each dequeue operation. The tests I did just now are on
a machine with a ssd disk.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> Building view.
>>
>> real    1m5.725s
>> user    0m0.006s
>> sys     0m0.005s
>> done
>>

>> 1.1.1:
>>
>> $ port=5984 ./test.sh
>> ""
>> Filling db.
>> done
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Server: CouchDB/1.1.2a785d32f-git (Erlang OTP/R14B03)
>> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:15:33 GMT
>> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
>>
>> {"db_name":"db1","doc_count":500001,"doc_del_count":0,"update_seq":500001,"purge_seq":0,"compact_running":false,"disk_size":122142818,"instance_start_time":"1330359233327316","disk_format_version":5,"committed_update_seq":500001}
>> Building view.
>>
>> real    1m4.249s
>> user    0m0.006s
>> sys     0m0.005s
>> done
>>

>> I don't see any significant difference there.
>>
>> Regarding COUCHDB-1186, the only thing that might cause some non
>> determinism and affect performance is the queing/dequeing. Depending
>> on timings, it's possible the writer is dequeing less items per
>> dequeue operation and therefore inserting smaller batches into the
>> btree. The following small change ensures larger batches (while still
>> respecting the queue max size/item count):
>>
>> http://friendpaste.com/178nPFgfyyeGf2vtNRpL0w
>>
>> Running the test with this change:
>>
>> $ port=5984 ./test.sh
>> "none"
>> Filling db.
>> done
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Server: CouchDB/1.2.0 (Erlang OTP/R14B03)
>> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:23:20 GMT
>> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
>>
>> {"db_name":"db1","doc_count":500001,"doc_del_count":0,"update_seq":500001,"purge_seq":0,"compact_running":false,"disk_size":130494577,"data_size":130490673,"instance_start_time":"1330359706846104","disk_format_version":6,"committed_update_seq":500001}
>> Building view.
>>
>> real    0m49.762s
>> user    0m0.006s
>> sys     0m0.005s
>> done
>>

>> If there's no objection, I'll push that patch.
>>
>> Also, another note, I noticed sometime ago that with master, using OTP
>> R15B I got a performance drop of 10% to 15% compared to using master
>> with OTP R14B04. Maybe it applies to 1.2.x as well.
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Bob D, can you give more details on the data set you're testing?
>>> Number of docs, size/complexity of docs, etc? Basically, enough info
>>> that I could write a script to automate building an equivalent
>>> database.
>>>
>>> I wrote a quick bash script to make a database and time a view build

the discussion here, I thought that's what you requested?

the performance regression before we start to draw conclusions.

the recommended older SSL version. I haven't looked into this crashing too closely but I'm
suspicious that I only see it with couchdb and never with bigcouch and never using the 1.2.x
branch from source or any branch for that matter

you see a hang there too, as I have and others (yet not everybody), too. I can't comment on
BigCouch and what is different there. It is interesting that 1.2.x won't hang. For me, `make
check` in 1.2.x on R15B hangs sometimes, in different places. I'm currently trying to gather
more information about this.

In my vote I considered no, but I am happy to go with a community decision if it emerges.
What is your take here?

why this happens at all and address the issue, hence COUCHDB-1424. Any insight here would
be appreciated as well.

I'm happy to backport my changes from master to 1.2.x to make that work, but I refrained from
that because I didn't want to bring too much change to a release branch. I'm happy to reconsider,
but I don't think a release vote is a good place to discuss feature backports.

broken for attachment_ranges. I don't know if we reported this upstream (Robert N?), but this
isn't a release blocker. For the replicator_db test, can you try running that in other browsers.
I understand it is not the best of situation (hence the move to the cli test suite for master),
but if you get this test to pass in at least one other browsers, this isn't a problem that
holds 1.2.x.

I think almost any use case, contrived or otherwise should not be dismissed as a pathological
or edge case. Bob's script is as simple as it gets and to me is a great smoke test. We need
to figure out the reason 1.2 is clearly slower in this case. If there are specific scenarios
that 1.2.x is optimized for then we should document that and provide reasons for the trade-offs

very seriously. But I'm rather annoyed that no information about this ends up on dev@. I understand
that on IRC there's some shared understanding of a few scenarios where performance regressions
can be shown. I asked three times now that these be posted to this mailing list. I'm not asking
for a comprehensive report, but anything really. I found Robert Newson's simple test script
on IRC and ran that to test a suspicion of mine which I posted in an earlier mail (tiny docs
-> slower, bigger docs -> faster). Nobody else bothered to post this here. I see no
discussion about what is observed, what is expected, what would be acceptable for a release
of 1.2.0 as is and what not.

things are slower and it's very real and that we should hold the 1.2.0 release for it. I'm
more than happy to hold the release until we figured out the things I asked for above and
help out figuring it all out. But we need something to work with here.

infinite time to spend, but at least a message of "we're collecting things, will report when
done", would be *great* to start. So far we only have a "hold the horses, there might be a
something going on".

send to this list any info you have? If you have a comprehensive analysis, awesome, if you
just ran some script on a machine, just send us that, let's collect all the data to get this
situation solved! We need your help.

happen to make a release. This includes assessing the issues he raises and squaring them against
the release vote.

regression. We need to get behind that.

that is referenced to influence a dev@ decision. We need that discussion's information on
dev@ to proceed.

issue and I am very grateful for the people, including Robert Newson, Robert Dionne and Jason
Smith, who look into it. It's just that we need to treat this as an issue and get all this
info onto dev@ or into JRIA.

these are valid concerns, I just wanted to get a better understanding on where the bit flips
from +0 to -1 and subsequently, how to address that boundary.

it is important to understand them in detail, that's why I was going into them. Ultimately,
I want to understand what we need to do to ship 1.2.0.

on this release now yesterday and today. It doesn't really pass what I would call the "smoke
test". Almost everything I've run into has an explanation:

SSL and Erlang (we'll note on release notes)

is out of date, recent versions of etap don't even run their own unit tests

report it in JIRA, I have done so now (COUCHDB-1424).

Chrome) . Both Chrome and Safari also hang

try their private browsing features, double/triple check that caches are empty? Can you get
to a situation where you get all tests succeeding across all browsers, even if individual
ones fail on one or two others?

on user reported performance degradation on his data set. Any numbers are meaningless for
a single test. I also ran scripts that BobN and Jason Smith posted that show a difference
between 1.1.x and 1.2.x

The performance regression reported is a good reason to look into other scenarios where we
can show slowdowns. But we need to understand what's happening. Just from looking at dev@
all I see is some handwaving about some reports some people have done (Not to discourage any
work that has been done on IRC and user@, but for the sake of a release vote thread, this
related information needs to be on this mailing list).

regression at hand. But we need to know where we'd draw a line and say this isn't acceptable
for a 1.2.0.

it's hard to say without knowing the code analysis that went into the changes. You can see
obvious local optimizations that make good sense but those are often the ones that get you,
without knowing the call counts.

great that there is progress, thanks for looking into this!

will be less forgiving. I think we already struggle with view performance. I'm interested
to see how others evaluate this regression.
can construct some more definitive tests.

understanding of the issues you raised and where we stand on solving them squared against
the ongoing 1.2.0 release.

performance issue. I hope with your help we can understand all these things a lot better very
soon :)

the crashes (thanks Filipe). I still see hangs when running make check, though any particular
etap that hangs will run ok by itself. The Futon tests never run to completion in Chrome without
hanging and the standalone JS tests also have fails.

the JS tests in Firefox and or Safari? Can you get all tests pass at least once across all
browsers? The cli JS suite isn't supposed to work, so that isn't a criterion. I've seen the
hang in make check for R15B while individual tests run as well, but I don't consider this
blocking. While I understand and support the notion that tests shouldn't fail, period, we
gotta work with what we have and master already has significant improvements. What would you
like to see changed to not -1 this release?

200K doc db with a large complex view and there's a clear regression between 1.1.x and 1.2.x
Others report similar results

functions is rarely an indicator of performance, it's usually input doc size and output/emit()/reduce
data size. How big are the docs in your test and how big is the returned data? I understand
the changes for 1.2.x will improve larger-data scenarios more significantly.

to start mucking with my stack, recompiling erlang, etc...

all the time. I find it very odd and I had seen those before as I said on my older macbook.

have been there right along, so I'm confident this just the SSL issue. Why it only happens
on the build is puzzling, any source build of any branch works just peachy.

but I'd like to hear from Stefan, who reported the severe performance regression. BobN seems
to think we can ignore that, it's something flaky in that fellow's environment. I tend to
agree but I'm conservative

and segfaults is not a

and he's still experiencing

own SSL right?

> [...]