couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, first round
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:46:53 GMT
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 02:15, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> Does CouchDB store my **JSON** (and mutate it minimally, for _rev)?
>
> Or does CouchDB store my **data**, where JSON is simply how we express
> the underlying "stuff" to be stored?

Yeah, I thought a little further about it during my night's sleep as
well. I checked the JSON RFC, and it expresses no Number model; just
the representation. The Number model under which 1.0 === 1 is
JavaScript's, not JSON's. Therefore, it is impossible to conclude
equivalence for any two Numbers in JSON notation, and CouchDB should
roundtrip numbers as close to the original representation as possible.

Cheers,

Dirkjan