couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API Docs (finally)
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 05:27:26 GMT
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> Jan, easy question:
>
> CouchDB is now in Git, and now there are two additional projects
> people are talking about: the web site and now the documentation.
>
> I wonder if the same repo could host all three projects, with
> dissimilar, independent history trees. (I know the web site has svn
> requirements but most would agree that git-svn is quite excellent
> dealing with this.)

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this would
require that our Git repo mirror some form of an SVN url. Plus our
history has been disconnected so we'd have to do some fancy dancing to
get things back in sync.

So basically, no. But I can't think of a reason that we can't host
both in the Git repo and then write a script that forcibly updates
some random SVN url. Me and Benoit have a very similar setup for
handling all the documentation for Gunicorn (though its based on
GitHub's Pages thing in a branch (but the basic idea is the same).

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I finally got my act together and prepared the CouchDB API docs that MC Brown made
for Couchbase for your consideration to be added to the project.

>> I put it up on GitHub so you can check it out.
>>
>> The repo is:
>>
>>  https://github.com/janl/couchdb-docs
>>
>> To build all docs, you run `make everything`. I put the results on GitHub Pages.
>>
>> It includes multiple HTML builds with different granularities (single page, break
by section, break by chapter) as well as PDF and ePub versions:

>>  Single Page: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-manual-1.1/couchdb-manual.html
>>  By Chapter: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-manual-1.1/couchdb-manual.html-dir/index.html
>>  By Section: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-manual-1.1/couchdb-manual.html-section/index.html
>>  PDF: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-manual-1.1/couchdb-manual.pdf
>>  ePub http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-manual-1.1/couchdb-manual.epub
>>
>> There's also a CouchDB 1.1. release guide that explains all the new features in depth:
>>
>>  Single Page: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-release-1.1/couchdb-release-1.1.html
>>  By Chapter: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-release-1.1/couchdb-release-1.1.html-dir/index.html
>>  By Section: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-release-1.1/couchdb-release-1.1.html-section/index.html
>>  PDF: http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-release-1.1/couchdb-release-1.1.pdf
>>  ePub http://janl.github.com/couchdb-docs/couchdb-release-1.1/couchdb-release-1.1.epub
>>
>> The README.md files outlines the build dependencies.
>>
>> The license is CC 3.0 but we can adapt that to whatever is required.
>>
>> There's a few rough edges, no styling should be obvious and the few screenshots are
using our old Single Server branded Futon, but I don't consider these things to block adoption.