couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From roger.moff...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, first round
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:09:28 GMT
I've been following this thread with interest and concern.

None of you will know me, so let me first say I'm a Couch end user and
developer - and a huge fan of the technology who is worried about the
future direction of Couch following the Couchbase debacle.

Regardless of the subtleties, what the RFC might say, what other systems
might do, to me it seems a screaming fundamental that what I put in to the
data store is what comes back from it.

If I store 1.0 in a field, I expect to get 1.0 back over the wire. Not 1,
1.0000000000000000000000001 or anything other than exactly the same
document that I stored in the first place.

Same goes for storing 1

I expect to get back 1, not 1.0 or any other mangled version regardless of
how arguably mathematically equivalent it might be.

So rule 1 has to be, whatever I put in, I get back.

What happens at a view level is different. If I've stored 1.0 or 1 as a
numeric (ie non-string) value, then what happens in the javascript of a
view is more flexible. Here I'm living in the real world of nasty floats
etc and in this case my view code should take appropriate care of what the
number might actually be. I'd kind of expect anything with a decimal point
to be interpreted as a float and anything without one to be interpreted as
an integer. That seems pretty basic and easy to understand.

Apologies if I'm missing the point - and obviously I'm new around here, but
the one inviolable point to me seems to be that whatever I store, I should
get back unchanged. Period. If we break that, we're no longer a data store.

Roger