couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap for the 1.3.0 release
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:46:36 GMT
I think it's important that the "single instance" mode runs as much,
and preferably all, of the code that a "clustered instance" would run.
Specifically, I would hate to maintain two copies of the httpd
interface (src/couchdb/*httpd*.erl versus chttpd), and really hate to
switch between them at runtime. The scope for surprising regressions
is too great.

B.

On 15 February 2012 13:29, Bob Dionne <dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> That sounds really neat, a number of folks have asked for such a thing.
>
> Right, the ddocs, validation funs, etc.. currently aren't stored globally, which requires
clustered calls to retrieve them

> On Feb 15, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Bob Dionne
>> <dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:

seems like it would fit the bill for the next undertaking on the general couch side. Does
anyone from Cloudant have a suggestion for the timeline here?

>>> There's been a lot of discussion in #couchdb and #couchdb-dev but little on the
ml. I'm not sure about timeline. There seems to be a lot of issues, most of them minor technical
ones (the type that readily bog down once more than 3 people get involved). BigCouch embeds
couchdb and was architected to be the clustering layer that couchdb lacks, so in that sense
I think we're in pretty good shape.

>>> Ideally we'd have one common code base but it may be that some configuration
of components is done at build time, perhaps driven by 3 types, mobile, single instance, and
clustered

>>> Does it make sense to anyone to think of this in the opposite direction, .i.e.
upgrade/enhance BigCouch to the latest couchdb and then call that couchdb 2.0?