couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:36:47 GMT
I do find the product name confusing, and it seems beyond question
that it confuses our community. So, we could navel gaze over whether
it meets the "probability of confusion" threshold if we want to, but
it seems unnecessary given the genuine confusion being expressed
already.

Perhaps we should approach Couchbase, and the CouchDB committers who
work there, notably our Chair, whether they would voluntarily rename
their product to avoid any further confusion first?

For full disclosure, I should note that I work with Cloudant, who
produce BigCouch. I don't see the same confusion happening between
"CouchDB" and "BigCouch" but it would be unfair not to ask the same
question about it than we are asking about "Couchbase". My sense is
that the community is not confused about the difference between
CouchDB and BigCouch and, given the intention to contribute BigCouch
to the CouchDB project, there will soon be no distinction at all.
However, I think it's only fair that we consider both products.

Since Couchbase is no longer compatible, the name is pretty obviously
misleading. I understand how it got here but I think it should be
remedied.

B.