couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, second round
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:18:35 GMT
If the R15/64 bit fix is the only issue with round 2, then I vote with
Jan to defer it to 1.2.1. If we're opening up round 3 for any reason,
I'd like to see it go in.

b.

On 27 February 2012 19:09, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2012, at 18:09 , Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to give this a +1 if we put a warning about R15B on the download page.
>
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=b1af764b refers
> to an issue that makes operation under R15B potentially dangerous. We haven't
> seen a report about any issues, but the Erlang manual quote severe potential
> issues:
>
>> These changes are essential to not crash the emulator or worse cause malfunction.
Without them a driver may return garbage in the high 32 bits to the emulator causing it to
build a huge result from random bytes either crashing on memory allocation or succeeding with
a random result from the driver call.

> and
>
>> The argument type change is from signed to unsigned which may cause problems for
e.g. loop termination conditions or error conditions if you just change the types all over
the place.