couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, first round
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 02:09:06 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 17:48, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> Hi, Noah. When I saw it hit Git, I realized it was a breaking change,
> and I asked around. If memory serves, Randall happened to be on at the
> time and he asked me the same question you just did. I said I never
> saw an RFC email and that's when he realized it was not done publicly.

I was aware the entire time, but I think the motivation is sound and
it needed to be done. A couple committers spoke up to say we didn't
think it was sensitive enough to warrant the private discussion but
ultimately there was broad consensus on the implementation and the
change itself. One of those (let us all celebrate) extremely rare
times where there wasn't opportunity for broad community input.

Creating a view on _users that pulls the relevant parts of a user
document out is the way forward for public profiles, I think.
If someone would write a blog post showing how that works it'd be
great. In retrospect this would have been a great thing to do weeks
ago. Lesson learned.

Now to test!

-R