couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:28:19 GMT
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:21, Jason Smith <> wrote:
> ## Facts
> * CouchOne built products and services promoting CouchDB for one year
> * Couchbase did the same, plus held events, for about one year
> * Couchbase pivoted their products and branding a scant ten weeks ago.
> * The pivot announcement acknowledges the confusion and lays plans to
> address it.
> * Couchbase's DB sync product is un-confusingly named Mobile SyncPoint
> and uses the Couch replication protocol
> * Couchbase employs several CouchDB committers
> ^^ Kindly restrict responses to fact only, thanks.
> ## Opinions
> * The confusion is a recent, manageable, phenomenon. Its peak (or
> depth) is at most ten weeks old, less if you consider holidays.
> * It will blow over.
> * ASF committers at Couchbase are admirable. They all keep their
> mouths shut. Some of them quietly commit code (to CouchDB or GeoCouch)
> day-in, day-out.
> Like a lifelong friendship that's hit a rough patch, the rewards of a
> years-long relationship outweigh the cost of the transgression.
> The key word from Benoit's emails is "gentlemen."

Good summary. I agree with all the facts. On the opinion that it will
blow over, we must do our part to help (that's all the other issues
for other threads that Noah mentioned).
CouchBase should figure out what they can do as well, and they should
share those plans with us so we can all reduce confusion together.

View raw message