couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:25:29 GMT
This thread whipped by really quickly, but I didn't get a conclusion
from you, Noah, as to whether you'll bring it to the ASF trademark
people for advice.

I was pondering it more today. CouchDB = Couch Database
We're talking about two database offerings, one called Couchbase and
the other called Couch Database.

Couch Database. Couchbase. IANAL, but that seems quite like exactly
the thing the ASF is there to prevent/protect/provide recourse for.
Especially now that Couchbase Server is no longer derivative of
CouchDB, the name strikes me as particularly disingenuous.

I'm still very disappointed that we haven't heard from the Couchbase
marketing team. Could we get verification from one of the committers
at Couchbase that their marketing team has at least seen this thread?
Can we reach out to them directly? I tried to find a press contact or
something on the website but couldn't.

I believe this is hurting our brand and theirs. I was too forgiving
yesterday in an attempt to keep things warm and fuzzy and I regret it
in hindsight.

Noah, please do send this thread legal's way.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:47, Noah Slater <> wrote:
> +1
> Feeling quite proud of us as a community in our responses here.
> On 21 Feb 2012, at 00:28, Randall Leeds <> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:21, Jason Smith <> wrote:
>>> ## Facts
>>> * CouchOne built products and services promoting CouchDB for one year
>>> * Couchbase did the same, plus held events, for about one year
>>> * Couchbase pivoted their products and branding a scant ten weeks ago.
>>> * The pivot announcement acknowledges the confusion and lays plans to
>>> address it.
>>> * Couchbase's DB sync product is un-confusingly named Mobile SyncPoint
>>> and uses the Couch replication protocol
>>> * Couchbase employs several CouchDB committers
>>> ^^ Kindly restrict responses to fact only, thanks.
>>> ## Opinions
>>> * The confusion is a recent, manageable, phenomenon. Its peak (or
>>> depth) is at most ten weeks old, less if you consider holidays.
>>> * It will blow over.
>>> * ASF committers at Couchbase are admirable. They all keep their
>>> mouths shut. Some of them quietly commit code (to CouchDB or GeoCouch)
>>> day-in, day-out.
>>> Like a lifelong friendship that's hit a rough patch, the rewards of a
>>> years-long relationship outweigh the cost of the transgression.
>>> The key word from Benoit's emails is "gentlemen."
>> Good summary. I agree with all the facts. On the opinion that it will
>> blow over, we must do our part to help (that's all the other issues
>> for other threads that Noah mentioned).
>> CouchBase should figure out what they can do as well, and they should
>> share those plans with us so we can all reduce confusion together.

View raw message