couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:16:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:07, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This wasn't a statement about the website.
>>
>> Everyone in the project has their own vision of what it is suppose to be and very
few are consistent with each other. If the leaders of the project don't have a clear vision
for the project then I don't see how anyone else could, or how you would come up with a better
vision in the website for the matter.

> the good thing with a project is that multiple visions could achieve
> to make a project. Do you really think that all people designing the
> browser firefox share the same vision ? or the same for an http server
> ?
>
> We are all working to extend couchdb in a way it can be useful . Of we
> were really disagreeing on the way to develop couchdb we could just
> leave. Some did.
>

>> Being that we tentatively agree that there is no legal recourse it now falls on the
project, and nobody else, to reduce the confusion that has come from the points you mention.

> s/we// not me at least
>

>> Do we really all think that people had a clear picture of what CouchDB was before
Damien left the project? I won't argue that recent developments have worsened the problem
but if you want to move forward and solve it you'll need to find the source and it's not a
website or comments on the creator's blog, it's that a shared code base does not equal a shared
vision and the project has always had a variety of different visions for what it should be.

> Hopefully enough shared vision, so people started to work all
> together. And apparently damien's had a different too. I don't think
> this is the problem here.

I agree. Lack of "shared vision" or some such thing is FUD. It may not
be communicated clearly to the outside, but when I sit down and talk
to everyone I know in the CouchDB community, my experience is that we
all share many similar visions and ideas for the project. This
communication is an altogether different problem than a company using
a similar mark without mentioning Apache CouchDB. It would seem to me
that, with or without legal obligation, CouchBase should make a
concerted effort to clearly distance themselves from the project until
the general consensus is that there is no confusion. I suspect that
consensus is hard to achieve, though, so long as there are two
database offerings with the word "couch" in them.

Let this be a lesson to all of us, by the way, not to name your
company after another project. It may be great while there's
alignment, but terribly confusing when there isn't.