couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:36:25 GMT
James, thank you for your post. I like the tone and the sentiment behind it.

Realistically, and based on feedback from non-lawyers, I now have doubts
about whether "Couch" itself could count as a trademark upon which to
infringe.

But like others, I agree that the "has a trademark been infringed or not"
question is not the most important issue here. It is the confusion that
surrounds the topics we've been discussing.

I also can't imagine Couchbase going through a 5th rename. I also don't
want to see CouchDB rebrand. I love our name.

Which leaves us with option three. "Explain The Differences Better On Both
Sides."

I would still like to reach out to the VP of Brand at the ASF and seek
guidance. As I have previously stated on this thread, it is more than
likely that they can advise a way forward that avoids mud slinging, and
avoids aggression.

I also think that our focus should be on getting 1.2.0 out of the door,
then working on a second, kick-ass release, that can coincide with a
revamped site. A site that, hopefully, address many of the concerns with
the existing one.