couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:28:53 GMT
Jonathan, yes Couchbase acknowledge the confusion on their blog, but I
don't think it's enough. I also don't think the consolidation of their
product line is enough to repair the ongoing damage.

Simon, I agree with you. As soon as we get 1.2.0 out, I'll be focusing my
attentions on the website. I already have a few interested parties to help
me on that. How would you like to contribute?

Bob, not going to happen. I want to focus on 1.2.0 and get that shipped.
The website is too much work to try to do at the same time. It's basically
going to be a ground-up rewrite.

Jonathan and Roger, thanks for the ideas. Let's revisit these in a
different thread, once we've got 1.2.0 out. We've had a number of false
starts with the website. But out of the past efforts, we have a few designs
that look good, we just need iterate on that and actually code the damn
thing.

*Could I ask us to shelve the website discussions for now please. It is
off-topic for this post, and is one of the reasons I started this separate
thread. We all agree our current website sucks, and we all agree that it is
a confounding factor in this whole mess. Fixing the website should
alleviate some of the problem. But I do not believe it will be enough to
mitigate the brand confusion Couchbase's name is causing.*

Bob, why would it be inappropriate? The legal mailing list exists to
provide legal guidance for projects in exactly the sort of situation we
find ourselves in. I just didn't want to rush to them for advice before I
had an idea of what other people feel about the current brand confusion
we're experiencing.