couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap for the 1.3.0 release
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:13:43 GMT

On Feb 14, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Brian Mitchell wrote:

> Has there been any discussion around BigCouch integration strategies? It seems like it
would fit the bill for the next undertaking on the general couch side. Does anyone from Cloudant
have a suggestion for the timeline here?

There's been a lot of discussion in #couchdb and #couchdb-dev but little on the ml. I'm not
sure about timeline. There seems to be a lot of issues, most of them minor technical ones
(the type that readily bog down once more than 3 people get involved). BigCouch embeds couchdb
and was architected to be the clustering layer that couchdb lacks, so in that sense I think
we're in pretty good shape.

Ideally we'd have one common code base but it may be that some configuration of components
is done at build time, perhaps driven by 3 types, mobile, single instance, and clustered

Does it make sense to anyone to think of this in the opposite direction, .i.e. upgrade/enhance
BigCouch to the latest couchdb and then call that couchdb 2.0?

> Any other work from mobile builds and the like might be interesting to support. Were
there any interesting changes to pull in from the mobile and embedded device ports? Also,
I'm not sure where the view engine refactoring work ended up… I'll look at JIRA but maybe
there are specific follow-ups to be made here.

> Finally, for our included javascript libraries and Futon runtime, are we going to replace
or update anything here? I'd imagine a newer jQuery could be an advantage for those doing
CouchApps.