couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ronny Pfannschmidt <>
Subject Re: feasibility of a design doc option to use the "ddoc new"/"ddoc <id>" based protocol for map and reduce as well
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:08:45 GMT
On 02/28/2012 11:24 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Jason Smith<>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Alexander Shorin<>  wrote:
>>> Hi Ronny,
>>> Invalidating views by ddoc _rev change is very bad idea - your 2M docs
>>> database will have to be reindexed on each ddoc update: by adding
>>> attachment or changing show function. Wait, what's the reason for
>>> views to be invalidated in this case?
>> Ronny, please correct me if I am wrong.
>> But I think the reason is to allow using the *entire* design document
>> to help build views. If so, the _rev invalidation is one thing, but
>> changing CouchDB to send the entire ddoc will be a more substantial
>> change.
>> At any rate, this is why some example failing unit tests might clarify
>> the objective.
> why not adding a version property to your ddoc changes ?

i started to realize, that a better workaround could actually just
put the data required for my viewservers view handling into the
doc.views.libs attribute

then changes to that would automatically invalidate the views without
breaking everything

i will investigate how to lay out my ddocs to get that behavior

-- Ronny

View raw message