couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:43:32 GMT
I don't think it's such a slam-dunk, but maybe I'm guilty of a
goal-tending violation.

It depends on whether you intend to keep replicating the two copies to
keep them synchronized.  If you want that (and most of the time, I do),
then I think it's an advantage to keep the same "UUID".  The (matching)
internal UUIDs indicates that you think of these two things as the same
abstract entity.  The full URL distinguishes the "physical" copies.

If on the other hand, you expect the copies to evolve into something
differently over time, then I can see how you might want different
UUIDs.  But again, the full, easy-to-construct URL distinguishes them.

As far as I can tell, the existing system still lets you have it both
ways....