couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:02:04 GMT
> I was asking what other people feel about the issue at hand. There is
> obviously an issue. But how important is it and what should we do about it?
> Is it a short-term problem? If that's the case, community and good-will
> might be our tool. Or is it a long-term problem? In which case, we might
> want to consider other, more direct, measures.

I think there is a short term fix to some of these issues. As the original post says when
you go to the apache project page you "see
a very stale project page". I know this has come up time and again but fixing that seems to
be a fairly easy thing to do (and should be done regardless of the wider issues) and would
help alleviate some of the confusion. I appreciate the "let the code speak for itself" response
that came after Damien's departure but that only works for people already engaged with the
community. For new users (or users not so involved) it's a PR disaster IMHO. Having a clear
message about what CouchDB is and how it (doesn't) relate to Couchbase on the front page seems
necessary, and might help matters while wider issues are resolved. What needs to be done to
close that out and how can I (and others) help?

Also, the Hadoop guys have quite a nice page:
If we apply the same reasoning as that I'd say Damien's original post would probably fall
under inappropriate use, and Couchbase as a competing product possibly does too (c.f. "Hadooping
the motor industry")