couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From James Hayton <theb...@purplebulldog.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase trademark issues
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:15:08 GMT

I disagree regarding the source of the confusion.  Sure, there is stuff that Apache CouchDB
can do better as you mention, but I think the source of the problem is that there are two
different products with Couch in their name, where one, CouchBase, used to ship the other,
CouchDB, but now they don't.  I am getting confused just typing this :)

Mongo has a bunch of companies with mongo in the name (hosting, etc), but it doesn't confuse
anyone since its all about one product, (mongodb).

CouchBase screwed up here IMHO.  If they no longer wanted to be involved with CouchDB when
the merger happened they should have chosen a name that didn't include the word couch.  Now
with that being said, as a user of CouchDB I am very appreciative of everything the CouchOne
guys did for the project and I was upset to see them go in a different direction after the
merger.  I don't think they planned on redirecting their interests elsewhere when they merged
so I can understand what happened here. It doesn't really matter.  It has happened and the
Apache CouchDB project needs to do what it can to fix it for the sake of the project.

This is very real problem that won't go away easily.  I dont think better descriptions are
going to solve the problem, but that is an option.  Legally going after CouchBase would not
be how I would handle it either.  Those guys did a ton for this project and I think that they
would even admit they screwed up in hindsight now that they are no longer developing/supporting
CouchDB or even an API compatible product.

The only other real option is rebranding Apache CouchDB, which is radical and unlikely to
happen, but it's an option that might be better than the other two options.

To summarize, there are really only 3 options:

1) CouchBase Changes Their Name Either Because They Want To Or Us Pushing The Issue.
2) Apache CouchDB Rebrands
3) Explain The Differences Better On Both Sides

Which one we go with I really don't care.  I just care about this project and want it to thrive,
gain new users/interests, etc... so that it will still be around in 10 years.

What I would like to see is Apache CouchDB get 1.2 put the door and then work hard on getting
some cool features added to coincide with a complete rebranding:

Features Such As
- Clustering/BigCouch
- In Memory Couch Add On With Compatible API ( I dunno just throwing stuff out there. ) Allow
Me To Have High Performance Option That I Can Replicate To Disk Later
- Auto Compaction
- Querying With Start & End keys for posted queries
- Multiple linked docs per view row
- Modularize the code base
- Many other things I have in my head :)

Add all that to existing CouchDB, call it KillerDB, AwesomeDB, whatever and then get back
to relaxing :)

Again, just my thoughts.  Just trying to get the wheels churning on alternatives to getting
in some spat with CouchBase, continuing to confuse everyone, etc...

James

On Feb 20, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Confusion over what CouchDB is has more to do with a lack of clarity on the website and
conveyed by the project itself than anything Cloudant, CouchBase, or any other company has
done building products around it.