couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.2.0 release, second round
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:09:50 GMT

On Feb 23, 2012, at 18:09 , Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> I'm happy to give this a +1 if we put a warning about R15B on the download page.

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=b1af764b refers
to an issue that makes operation under R15B potentially dangerous. We haven't
seen a report about any issues, but the Erlang manual quote severe potential
issues:

> These changes are essential to not crash the emulator or worse cause malfunction. Without
them a driver may return garbage in the high 32 bits to the emulator causing it to build a
huge result from random bytes either crashing on memory allocation or succeeding with a random
result from the driver call.

and

> The argument type change is from signed to unsigned which may cause problems for e.g.
loop termination conditions or error conditions if you just change the types all over the
place.

   — http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl_driver.html#rewrites_for_64_bits

The fix is simple enough (see the link above), but this makes me not feel
comfortable recommending this release for operation on R15B.

I'd be fine with releasing 1.2.0 as is* and make it clear in the release
notes that R15B support isn't there yet and ship a 1.2.1 soonish with the
fix.

* but if we are holding 1.2.0 for any of the other issues we are discussing,
I'd say we include this one.

What do you think?

Cheers
Jan