couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Future
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:13:03 GMT
Yes, I saw and whole-heartedly approve ;)

On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

> Hi Jim, I did my best to offer a competing narrative over at http://blog.cloudant.com/the-future-of-couchdb/.
Cheers,

> Adam
>
> On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
>> It might not be a bad idea to maybe blog something about this...
>> Certainly the story being presented to the unwashed masses
>> is that Damien is still the driving force behind CouchDB,
>> that the nasty overhead of trying to build s/w via consensus-
>> based collaboration is damaging CouchDB (and in fact, has
>> damaged it so badly that Damien needs to seek more "energetic"
>> pastures elsewhere) and that CouchDB is heading towards the
>> bit bucket. It would be great to get out something that
>> refutes all those points.
>>
>> On Jan 6, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Community,
>>>
>>> As some of you may have already read, Damien Katz, Apache CouchDB’s original
developer, has publicly announced that he intends to focus his time exclusively on developing
other products for his company. Damien has had very little involvement in the CouchDB project
for a year or more now, so, for many people, this is confirmation of what they already knew.
We’re sorry to see him go, and wish him all the best in his new direction. We all owe him
a huge debt of thanks for all the hard work he has put in over the years, and for his original
vision of the project.

>>> Our biggest strength has always been the breadth and depth of our community of
developers and users. In the very near future, we’ll be voting in a new committer, appointing
a new PMC member, sprucing up the website, and making a major new release. We’re happy to
confirm that Cloudant has also publicly made a commitment to help contribute BigCouch to the
CouchDB project. BigCouch, for those of you who have not had the pleasure of using it already,
is a fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable clustering framework purpose-built for CouchDB.