couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Do we need 2 entry points for the replication?
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:46:56 GMT
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Exposing features as manipulations to normal documents makes CouchDB's
>> API simpler and more orthogonal.
>
> On the other hand, exposing features via special-purpose APIs hides
> the implementation and frees us to change how it works under the hood.

Thank you for not saying "under the covers." Activity under the
hood--or bonnet--hardly resembles activity under the covers.

All agree that state is stored in a database. So the question is, have
a database and an API defined as changes to it (perhaps via _show,
_list, and _update); or, have a database and an API defined otherwise.
Either way, you have to bite the bullet and make a breaking change; so
is hiding the implementation a different matter?

--
Iris Couch