couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <>
Subject Re: The Future
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 06:59:29 GMT
As I am not a contributing developer, but working on commercial use of CouchDB, so my only
reason for being on this list is to look out for things like what just happened with Damien;
 look out for the risk that the CouchDB project stagnates in what  Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
calls the 'good enough' or the 'Early Adopter' stage.

The fact that Damien will concentrate on a commercial product is good news to me.
When Adam responds by offering BigCouch to the community, thats great news too!

Cloudant has created a stable and reliable service for commercial CouchDB work, and nothing
would be better than if Iriscouch would follow up with an equally sophisticated commercial
hosting service based on Couchbase. Without the services that take CouchDB to users on the
other side of the "chasm" (I assume it is not only Mahesh that know his Jeffrey More here)
the risk is that CouchDB will never make it to the big market.

TECHNICALLY  the critical part is that the Rest API stays stable and backward compatible and
that databases can be replicated across the various implementations.
COMMERCIALLY it is critical that players like Couchbase, Iriscouch and Coudant succeed and
are followed by business minded competitors as soon as possible.
As for the promises for an updated WEB SITE for CouchDB, I hope the efforts will be directed
towards the developers at the other side of the chasm, those not so Github savvy, but closer
to paying end customers. The future lies in proving CouchDB's value to more of those.

Johs /

On 8. jan. 2012, at 17:25, Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya wrote:

> Part of the issue w/ couchDB in the recent past is that it got good enough, and that
was, well, good enough for a lot of people (I offer myself up as candidate A).
> To put this in Marketing-Speak, in the Technology Adoption Lifecycle, we got to the 'Early
Adopter' stage, but never managed to quite make it across the chasm to the 'Early Majority'