couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Releasing 1.2.0
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:37:13 GMT
I would strongly urge you to start providing binaries.

I am very much in favor of trying to persuade Dave to contribute an
official Windows binary.  I suspect that a great many people who might
think about getting started with Couch hesitate to do so because there
is no binary available.  These are people who are interested in applying
Couch to get useful things done (while staying relaxed) but have
absolutely no interest in figuring out how to compile anything on their
Windows machine.

I include myself in this category.  My desktop runs an Apache HTTPD
server (using the easy to find and install Windows binary from their
download page) as well as CouchDB. I use both of these servers for rapid
development and prototyping of potential applications before I hand them
off to the professional programmers and system administrators at our
site.  I feel much more confident that I can keep the HTTPD server
running and updated than I can the CouchDB server.

I have also been trying to convince some of my colleagues of the virtues
of using Couch; very few have taken me up on the suggestion to start
using it. I am convinvced that a lack of an easy-to-install _official_
Windows binary is a major impediment to adoption.

     Kevin