couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From kzhang <kzh...@wayfair.com>
Subject bigcouch sharding uestion
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:41:57 GMT
Hi,

If I have three nodes to set up a cluster, what difference does it make if
1) I set up three shards, with each of the three nodes being the primary of
one shard, with replication running among them, so if one node goes down,
the other two can fully take over; v.s. 2) if still the same three nodes, I
set up six shards, still running replication among them.

I know it sounds more overhead in 2). But is there any performance gain/loss
associated with either approach?

I guess I am not sure what is the standard/ideal config for No. of shards/
No. of Nodes.