couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 07:09:15 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Paul Davis <> wrote:
>> A couch URL is its unique identifier. A database URL is its unique
>> identifier. This sounds like a too-clever-by-half optimization. IMHO.
>> --
>> Iris Couch
> To this I ask simply: What's the URL of my phone? Tying a URL to a
> database is like identifying a person by their address. A UUID per
> created database is much more fine grained, but has operations issues
> with file handling and what not.

Hi, Paul. A database is not a person. It is a resource, with a
universal location.

Databases can be replicated, or copied, or restored from backup. (Same
for .ini files.)

One .couch file can be served from different URLs; and one URL might
serve different .couch files over time. The current replicator
understands this and if anything seems fishy, it double-checks. (For
example, the instance_start_time helps to detect wholesale replacement
of .couch files.)

The web assumes that mostly, but not always, a stable URL represents a
stable resource. So does the replicator. Getting away from that seems

Iris Couch

View raw message