couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:30:12 GMT
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Paul Davis
<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you've contradicted yourself. If a URL is the universal name
> for a database, then how are we able to server different databases
> from the same URL?

The contradiction was intentional. URLs are usually but not always
stable. To re-invent a "universal identifier" for a "resource" sounds
futile, IMHO.

> Tying a database to a URL is merely an artificial limitation because
> we haven't thought of anything better. If we *did* think of a way to
> uniquely identify databases that didn't break due to ops requirements
> then that would be a much better fit to the CouchDB model. It is
> difficult but that's because we haven't yet thought of a good way to
> deal with what happens OOB when ops teams change server
> configurations.

All great points. My personal candidate is to look at the rsync
protocol. From a foggy memory:

* No names, no ids. It's always comparing data against data.
* Both sides do normal and rolling checksums (perhaps memorized or
incremental map/reduced for couch)
* Always 1 round-trip. Receiver sends its checksums to sender, sender
sends back the updates.

People is interested in CouchDB might find this OLS talk and
transcript fascinating.

http://olstrans.sourceforge.net/release/OLS2000-rsync/OLS2000-rsync.html

--
Iris Couch