couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 03:26:02 GMT
> * Merkle trees are great for two-way synchronization, but it's not immediately clear to
me how you'd use them to bootstrap a single source -> target replication.  I might just
be missing a straightforward extension of the tech here.

This is the point that's important with checksums and so on. Merkle
trees are great when you want to mirror structured data but CouchDB
replication is a mirror operation. Think, N db's replicating to a
central DB. you have a mixture of things which breaks checksums (or at
least any obvious application I can think of given our internal
structures)