couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <>
Subject Re: The perfect logger for development
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:51:00 GMT
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Jason Smith <> wrote:
> Thanks, Benoit.
> I would like to move the discussion back, one hundred percent, to
> identifying exactly what features are good and bad for CouchDB. We are
> in no hurry. IMHO, CouchDB does not need a patch soon. It needs
> thoughtful, deliberate planning.

yes and no . We don't need to be 100% to start implementation. For
example we could just replace our current logger by lagger which would
give us automatically support for different backend, log rotations &
co and prepare for more attributes as well.

> More responses inline.
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
>> I fully agree, we need better logging in couch. I don't really like
>> the idea of saving any data structures, but why not. Imo such things
>> could be saved as binaries strings and then parse but ...
> I agree. For the first milestone I propose no change to the logs: the
> same ?LOG_DEBUG() macros, the same text file; the same log format only
> a mother could love.

> When I say "data structures," I simply mean that more useful
> information is available to be logged.

ok so you're speaking about log arguments?
> A first milestone might to output to the same log file as before.
> However, I hope it would be easy to write different log formatters for
> different needs:
> * Web developer format: client IP, method, headers, log message
> * Erlang troubleshooting format: PID, supervision tree, heap usage, log message

well such infos should be natural since the code doesn't hangs at the
same place. you don't have the same info then.

> For the first milestone, though, something modest:
> * Traditional format: timestamp, log level, pid, log message // i.e.
> what Couch does now

again lagger do a lot of thing about that. Technically I really like
its possibilities. And we don't have to reinvent the wheel . I woul
dbe curious anyway how cloudant is comparing twig to it.

- benoƮt

View raw message