couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bradtke <webwu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:42:22 GMT
Am 13.12.2011 02:12, schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Jason Smith<jhs@iriscouch.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Paul Davis
>> <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I think you've contradicted yourself. If a URL is the universal name
>>> for a database, then how are we able to server different databases
>>> from the same URL?
>> The contradiction was intentional. URLs are usually but not always
>> stable. To re-invent a "universal identifier" for a "resource" sounds
>> futile, IMHO.
>>
> I'm going to be pedantic here a bit. And this is on purpose and I've
> warned people. But I'll hopefully tie it back to reality.
>
> First, URL stands for "uniform resource locator" where URI stands for
> "uniform resource identifier". There's a very very important
> distinction between these two things.
>
> In CouchDB land we allow sharing of URL's between to resources (ie,
> delete db, create db) are two logically distinct databases until a
> replication pulls the new one into the "replicated web of dbs" where
> things get a bit more subtle.
>
> But this recycling of URLs I think firmly places them outside the
> scope of URIs in this instance. If we had URLs of the form
> "http://host:port/$UUID" then I would argue in favor of the "URL is
> URI" or perhaps "URL contains URI" type of approach. Though, we don't.
> The URL is merely an alias to the actual database resource.
The distinction of the terms URI and URL or URN and such is rather
historically. In fact there is no specification for URL anymore, see:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/02/27/URL

An URI in the form of "http://example:port/some/path/or/uuid" would be
globaly unique and as a nice sideeffect you can just dereference it to
actually find and access the databse.

Just my two Cents :)